The Greenbrier Companies
The company was founded in 1919 as Wire Wheel Sales and Service. After several portfolio expansions, frames for railway wagons were also welded from 1958 and later freight cars were manufactured. After a change of ownership and several name changes, James Furman bought the company in 1981 and started manufacturing double-decker container wagons. These turned out to be a hugely successful product and played a key role in establishing Greenbrier’s market position in rail vehicle construction. The company went public in 1994.
The North American group now has locations in 7 countries and develops, builds and markets freight wagons and ships in North America, Europe and Brazil via joint ventures and subsidiaries. The company is a leading international supplier of equipment and services for freight transport and a leading provider of services for freight wagon wheels, spare parts, maintenance, reconditioning and retrofitting in North America.
Railcar management, compliance services and leasing services round off Greenbrier’s portfolio. Together with its subsidiary GBX Leasing, the Group owns a leasing fleet of around 12,500 railway wagons.