INTRODUCTION- Global Railway Traction Motor Market 2021-2026
Rolling stock manufacturing market account for ~70% turnover of the Rail Supply Industry in Europe.
Electric motors are a common means of powering a train, whether the energy required is carried on-board the train in the form of a diesel engine and its fuel or obtained from outside the train by connection with an external power supply carried by an overhead line or third rail. Electric traction is widely used around the world, particularly for routes with dense traffic, like urban and suburban railways or long distance, high speed lines that need electric traction to obtain the speeds required for inter-city travel.
RAILWAY TRACTION MOTOR MARKET DYNAMICS
|ABB is set to expand its installation products in China with an investment of $16 million.
|Gibela, a railway rolling stock manufacturer in Nigel has launched its traction motor manufacturing workshop with a range of 3600sqm.
|Nidec Corporation and GAC Components have signed a joint venture in order to manufacture the automotive traction motor.
Rolling stock market is currently generated revenue of € 38.5 Billion in 2020 and by 2025 it is estimated to € 43 Billion. Traction motor plays a major role in revenue generation in Metro, Medium speed rail, High speed rail and Diesel Locomotives.
Swedish government has adopted an infrastructure plan for 2018- 2029 with investment of €70 Billion and this is largest railway investment in modern times.
Germany has a legislative plan to double its number of rail passengers and shift more freight to the railways by the year 2030.
The proposed long-term budget for the EU for the period 2021-2027includes EUR 30.6 billion for the transport envelope of CEF (Connecting Europe Facility)
As trains operate at relatively high speeds. Therefore, the vehicle’s mass must be kept as low as possible to reduce wear of traction motor. Motor manufacturers will concentrate more on low Maintenance, Easy replacement, High-speed adoption and should produce low noise level.
RAILWAY TRACTION MOTOR MARKET SEGMENTATION
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South America
- Diesel Locomotive
- High Speed Rail
- Medium Speed Rail
- Light Rail Vehicles
- Light Urban Rail
By Motor Type
- DC Traction Motor
- AC Traction Motor
- Synchronous AC Traction motor
NEW ROLLING STOCK CONTRACTS
|JSC Transmashholding and Hitachi
|Hitachi Rail STS
|Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC).
|China State Railway
|280 high-speed train cars
|National Railway of Uzbekistan
|High speed trains
|Egyptian national railway
NEW PRODUCTS DEVELOPED IN RAILWAY TRACTION MOTOR MARKET
|The GE 761A23 Traction Motor was successfully manufactured in China. It produces a Maximum Voltage of 1200V and the Rated Power is about 323kW and the weight of the motor is 1700kg.
|The three-phase traction motor type 6FRA6068 for WAG-9 and WAP-7 locomotives and 6FXA7059 for WAP-5 locomotives has been manufactured.
|Hitachi Traction Motor type HS15250A for conventional electric locomotives WAG-7 and WAP-4 has been manufactured.
|The ZQDR-310 traction motor has been launched for the diesel locomotives in China. It produces a rated Voltage of 500V and a weight of 1730kg.
|The original GE 752AF8 traction motor was successfully manufactured in China from General Electric. The maximum Voltage of the motor is 1300V and the weight of the motor is 3210kg.
|The three phase AC synchronous traction motor for the 4500 HP diesel locomotive has been launched by Medha.
|The AC traction motor for 1.3 MW EMU, 1600 HP has been produced for the diesel locomotive.
- MITRAC Propulsion System: A new generation of converters engineered by rolling stock pioneer Bombardier comes in two variants – air-cooled traction converters suited for decentralized propulsion systems for trains with distributed propulsion such as trams, automated people movers, metros, regional and intercity trains etc. This Propulsion system also characterizes increase in energy efficiency by adding alternative energy solutions such as lithium-ion traction batteries and supercapacitors.
- New-gen DMU System: in Sep 2020, ZF showcased a modular gearbox for metro trains called EcoMet which is a compact, powerful and cost-efficient DMU system and offers a drive power maximum of 600kW and an input torque of 2500Nm. It features a revised and extended powershift transmission, and a reversing gear with two shift positions directly integrated into the transmission, suitable for slow as well as fast long-distance operation
- Hydrogen Powered Trains:
- In Germany, Alstom is currently running two trials trains which are Hydrogen powered.
- Spanish train manufacturer Talgo unveiled a new modular hydrogen-powered propulsion system at a conference in Spain in Sep 2020 which it says could offer an emission-free alternative to diesel traction for non-electrified line
- Scotland is also planning to implement around 300 hydrogen powered trains. Some advantages of hydrogen powered train are that they can run on the electrified and conventional lines alike and they are incredibly quiet compared to their diesel counterparts. Nevertheless, challenges in terms of mass supply of hydrogen and safety concerns, are yet to be addressed for mass deployment
- High-speed metro: China debuted 160km/h metro train for Guangzhou. China’s Guangdong Province has ordered 40 of the trains from CRRC Zhuzhou Locomotive
PowerRail is delighted to provide a full variety of new and remanufactured traction motors, with standard and premium rebuilds in stock and ready to ship. Class Is, regional lines, short lines, and passenger transits across the United States, as well as overseas, have approved them.
PowerRail is an AAR M-1003 quality certified company with an experienced crew and high-quality workmanship. PowerRail’s engineering team completes entire product development, upgraded designs, and failure analysis using an OEM verification process and the SolidWorks CAD system.
In addition, PowerRail offers state-of-the-art, upgraded design BTR/axle bearing housing traction motor conversions if you’re searching for increased dependability, cheaper maintenance costs, and longer service intervals for your traction motor.
The majority of EMD and GE models can be converted. Eliminating brass support bearings and the wick assembly reduces maintenance and extends the life of the device.
PowerRail’s conversion to axle housing bearings, also known as ‘U-Tubes,’ offers an improved design with heavier wall thickness at the commutator end, sensor holes drilled and cable cleat supports pre-installed, in addition to all the benefits that come with upgrading your fleet with BTR traction motors.
|The revenue of ABB at the end of the third quarter was $7.02 billion
|The sales of Alstom at the half year ended in July was €7.4 billion and in the previous year the sales was €6.5 billion.
|At the end of the second quarter from July to September the net sales of Kawasaki were ¥325.4 billion and in the previous quarter the net sales was ¥355.6 billion.
A low-cost enhancement to improve the efficiency of three-phase traction motors has been developed by Toshiba Corp.
CRRC Times Electric has launched a new condition-based maintenance platform, which can facilitate intelligent operation and smart maintenance of urban rail networks and assets. Trials have taken place with traction motors, converters, high voltage components and running gear.
Talgo has unveiled a new modular hydrogen-powered propulsion system it could offer an emission-free alternative to diesel traction for non-electrified lines. The system employs hydrogen fuel cells to power the train’s traction motors, and is supported by auxiliary batteries designed to boost acceleration speeds, and which are recharged through regenerative braking.
The permanent magnet synchronous traction system is produced by CRRC Times Electric. This is the second application of the technology on metro trains in China. The permanent magnet synchronous traction system weighs less than conventional traction equipment, is more efficient and generates less noise.